A new feature (Image Wizard) has been added to photo galleries and spotlight groups that allows users to easily resize and crop your photos. To use this new feature, a size category must be assigned to the photo gallery or spotlight group. This ensures that photos in a gallery or spotlight group are the same width and height for optimal display and performance. Additionally, this feature allows a user to quickly crop a photo so only the best part of the picture is displayed. This will make it easy to update district or school page photo rotators to keep the website looking professional. The Online Photo Editor is still available for editing photos that are not being added to a photo gallery or a spotlight.
Note: Photo galleries and spotlight groups without a size restriction will still be available.
Adding Size Category Presets
Size Categories must be set up for the website to make use of the image resize/crop feature. A district web administrator will have permission to create a size category.
- Once logged into the CMS, click the configuration drop-down and choose size categories.
- Click the Add Size Category button
- Fill out the provided fields as follows:
- Name (required): Give the size category a name such as “District Home Photo Rotator”, “School Home Photo Rotator” or ‘spotlights’. Adding the actual pixel proportion to the title can be a helpful reminder.
- Description: Optional Description
- Width: Width of the photo in pixels
- Height: Height of the photos in pixels
- SortOrder: This will determine the order the list of image size presets will be displayed. The lower the number.
- Save the Size Category.
Using Size Categories for Photo Galleries
Note: Photo galleries can still be created without any size restriction. Simply don’t select a preset for the dropdown when setting up the gallery. When no preset is selected, the image cropping tool will not be available.
Creating/Editing a Photo Gallery with a Size Category
- Click the Photo Gallery option on the left of the admin panel and choose Add Photo Gallery.
Note: You can “edit” an existing photo gallery and add a size category to it. This will not change the photos in that are already in the gallery.
- Name the photo gallery and choose Next.
- Select the desired Size Category for the gallery. If the desired size isn’t listed, contact the web administrator to add a new size category.
- Additional editors for the photo gallery can be added by clicking their name in the Available Editors
- Save the gallery to have it added to the CMS, or begin adding photos by clicking Add a Photo.
Using the Image Wizard in Photo Galleries
- Under Photo Galleries, edit the photo gallery from the Photo Gallery List.
- Click Add a Photo.
- Click Select New Image to Upload to open the computer’s browser to search for the image.
- The photo is loaded into the Image Wizard, which provides tools to resize and crop the photo to the correct size.
Note: If the Photo Gallery does not have a Size Category associated with it, the Image Wizard will not be initiated by the system.
- A slider under the photo is provided to make the photo larger or smaller.
- A transparent crop-box on top of your photo. Move this to pick a different portion of the photo.
- By resizing the photo and moving the crop-box, select the portion of the photo to be used.
- Once the desired portion of the photo is in the crop-box, click the Next button to see the cropped and resized photo.
- Click Undo Crop to return to the crop selection window, or Save to add the photo to the gallery.
Additional optional photo settings include:
- Name: This will show when a visitor hovers over the photo in the gallery.
- Description: Some website templates show the image description in a gallery overlay.
- Link: Use this to link the photo to another website, a page in your website or a file.
- Link Into New Window: This is typically set to Yes if linking to an external website or a document. Set to No if linking to a page in you website.
Using Size Categories with Spotlights
Spotlights are an attractive way to highlight important information on a website. By adding the Image Wizard feature to spotlights, a user can ensure the image for each spotlight is the same size for optimal display and performance.
Creating/Editing a Spotlight Group with a Size Category
- Click Add Spotlight Group under the Spotlights option in the left of the admin panel.
Note: You can “edit” an existing spotlight group and add a size category to it. This will not change the photos in that are already in the spotlights.
- Give the spotlight group a Name, often the name of the building the group belongs to.
- The Description is an optional field for additional information on the group. This description is not visible to site visitors.
- Choose the Size Category that the spotlight image should be set to from the dropdown list.
- Save the new spotlight group.
Using the Image Wizard with Spotlights
- Click Add Spotlight in the left of the admin panel.
- Select the Primary Group from the dropdown list. This tells the image wizard what size the spotlight image should be.
- Click Select New Image to Upload to browse the computer for an image. Selecting an image will open the image wizard.
Note: If a Size Category has not been assigned to the Spotlight Group, the Image Wizard will be used by the system.
- A slider under the photo is provided to make the image larger or smaller.
- A transparent crop-box on top of your photo will be shown. Move the box to pick a different portion of the image.
- By resizing the image and moving the crop-box, the desired portion of the image can be selected.
- Once the correct portion of the image is in the crop-box, click the Next button to see the cropped and resized image.
- Click Undo Crop to return to the crop selection window, or Save to add the image to the spotlight.
- After completing the other Spotlight fields, select Save.
See the spotlight documentation for more information on spotlights.